Charlottesville Pre-Nuptial Family Lawyer
Mary Ann Barnes, An Experienced Virginia Family Law Attorney with offices in Charlottesville, Harrisonburg and Lake Monticello
My goal is to help produce positive outcomes without wasting time or adding to the financial burden of our clients.
Frequently asked questions about Virginia family law:
Do I need an attorney for a family law proceeding?
Although it is possible to represent yourself in family court, it is not advisable in the vast majority of cases. Should you choose to represent yourself, the court cannot assist you with your case. You are held to the same requirements as the other party’s attorney. If you mishandle your case due to lack of knowledge or skill, an attorney may have difficulty reversing your mistakes.
What should I consider as part of a Pre-nuptial Agreement?
Every situation is different, but the following are commons concerns that should be addressed:
- Listing of all assets, liabilities, income, and expectations of gifts and inheritances
- Handling premarital debts
- Determining what happens to premarital property in reference to appreciation, gains, income, rentals, and dividends
- Determining who will own the marital residence and any secondary homes
- Specifying the status of gifts, inheritances, and trusts
- Determining what will happen to each type of property, whether jointly or individually owned
- Clarifying alimony, maintenance and spousal support provisions
- Deciding on medical, disability, life and/or long-term care insurance coverage
- Detailing death benefits
What is your fee structure?
I handle cases on a flat fee or hourly basis. At the end of the consultation, we can determine the appropriate fee structure for your case, and you can evaluate our services and decide if you want to hire me.
Tucker Griffin Barnes continues to grow our family law practice thanks to the many referrals we receive from satisfied clients, therapists, and other attorneys. If you are struggling with divorce, child custody, or any other family legal matter, please call or email us to learn about your legal rights and how we can help.